Translate

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Anxiety is a Strength

(These are quotes from "Anxiety: Challenge by Any Other Name" relating to my own personal life)

“Do what makes you anxious; don’t do what makes you depressed.”  This relates to me in a very simple way. I always have a tendency of backing out of things that make me anxious. When I was younger I always wanted to play soccer but always backed out when it came to soccer season. I got nervous about being bad at soccer but always ended up being depressed when I didn’t play.
“Anxiety always arises when we confront the possibility of our own development.” This is a big quote for me when I have anything to do with school. I get bad anxiety when I am getting ready for a presentation or get called on to read to the class. I know these are skills that I have to work on so I get anxious on how it is going to go with my nervousness on top of it.
“You will never eliminate anxiety by avoiding the things that caused it.” I often avoid things that make me anxious just because I don’t like the feeling. I hate having the nervous jitters and anxiety usually stresses me out. The one thing I have learned, however, that this statement is very true. I used to get anxiety when going out onto the soccer field before a game and having everyone watching you play but I have grown to get over it and enjoy it.
“You can’t learn if you don’t try.” I always play out, in my head, what is going to happen before it actually does. When I do this I am just feeding my anxiety and worrying myself. But the fact of the matter is I will never learn what is going to happen if I don’t take a chance and go see what’s out there for myself.
“Accept anxiety as another name for a challenge and you can accomplish wonders.” I see anxiety not as a problem, anymore, but instead a challenge to overcome. Not only is anxiety a challenge in itself but by overcoming other obstacles, it can help to get over anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment