Translate

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Live Life Freely

     Ever since I was little, I was told what to do. When I was little, I was told what to wear and what to eat. Now that I am 16, I have a little more freedom but not much. Why do people try to control other peoples' lives?
     I'm in National Honors Society. Yes, I understand that it is a privilege to be in NHS, but it's not for me. I walked up to the teacher in charge of NHS and tried to explain this to her. I told her that I do not agree with the fact that community service has to be signed by the person you are doing it for or by the person who arranged it. I don't know about other people in this world but I believe community service should be from the kindness of your heart and not hoping to be recognized for it. I also don't think it is right to have to tell someone it is for a class. It takes out the whole point of the community service away. I believe that community service should never be assigned as a chore. It should come from the goodness of your heart and should not be used for a grade or to be kept in a stupid honors society. Even if I were to ignore this fact and continue with NHS, I do not have the time to go out of my way to find an organization to do community service through and have them sign a stupid paper. That is six hours of community service where it is not done out of the kindness of my heart but instead out of the happiness of my self greed. When I would have time for this, I don't have a ride and instead am sitting home alone. My teacher responded by saying this wasn't excepting my "excuse" and that I wasn't able to get out of national honors society. We will see what happens when it comes march (the due date for the community service hours) and I don't turn one in!
     I know this was a short post but I had to share my opinion with the world. NHS is awesome and a great program. I am not saying if you are in it then you should get out of it. It looks amazing on a college application! But, I have put a lot of thought into it and it isn't for me. I do not agree with the set up; therefore, I don't want to be in it. I also dislike how my teacher said I couldn't get out of it. Obviously I can and it is my choice. I am not going to let some teacher tell me what I can and can not do. The college I choose will know I have the opportunity to be in NHS and I will make my point to the college that I do not agree with the set up of NHS and that is why I chose not to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment